Pastoral care & the Code of Practice
The New Zealand Government wants you to be well-informed, safe and properly cared for while you are studying here.
Code of Practice
The Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students sets out standards for the welfare of students. All education providers who have students enrolled on international student permits must meet the standards.
The code ensures that:
- high professional standards are maintained
- recruitment, financial and contractual dealings with international students are done ethically and responsibly
- students receive comprehensive, accurate and up-to-date information
- students receive information before making commitments
- the particular needs of international students are recognised, especially those who are vulnerable because of their youth or lack of experience
- support services are sensitive to cultural matters
- appropriate accommodation is provided, with special measures to ensure the safety of students under 18
- there are fair procedures for the resolution of grievances.
Read the Code of Practice on the Ministry of Education website.
There is a process international students can go through if they have any complaints about the way they have been treated by their institution. Find out the complaints process at the Ministry of Education website.
Insurance requirements Qualifications and exams